BariatricTV ForumGeneral WLS InformationRNYBodybuilding
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Bodybuilding  (Read 1545 times)
fabfit2010
Fresh Freak
Surgery Date: 9 April 2010
Surgery Type: Gastric Bypass

« on: January 02, 2010, 05:38:52 AM »

Hey Guys, I'm brand new to this forum but so glad that I found y'all.  I am booked in for Gastric Bypass on 23 Feb 2010 and nervous as hell.  I'm sure keeping logged in here will see me through all the highs and lows. 

Coupled with always wanting to lose weight, my goal has been to eventually bodybuild, not for competition, just for myself.  So I'd be grateful to hear from anyone who has had the procedure and is bodybuilding.

I guess I'm wondering if I am going to be able to firstly have enough energy to train and will I be able to take in sufficient protein to sustain muscle mass?Huh

Cheers everyone, Hope to hear back soon.
 Cheesy
Larkey
Royal Freakness
Surgery Date: 7/13/2009
Surgery Type: RNY

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 06:07:52 AM »

Welcome from down under!  Learn lots here before your surgery and it will help things go smoothly.  Can't speak to the bodybuilding question - I am just trying to prevent batwings ( american slang for those flappy arm things)!
shepkatt
Honey Badger don't give a sh*t
Administrator
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: 11/17/2003

WLS ain't for wussies

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 08:31:00 AM »

Welcome fabfit2010!  Congrats on your upcoming surgery..  There are lots of WLS folks who have gone on to become personal trainers or heavy into body building..  So no worries on that one.. Probably won't be able to focus on that, though, until you are a bit further out.  You can set all the foundations for it, though, but making sure to (after you have recovered from surgery) - eat/drink all your protein and excercise..   Hopefully -  if your goal is body building - you will just kinda fall into it as you heal and start feeling better.  Good luck!  Can't wait to follow your progress.

I enjoy fine chocolate.. cheese and being on time.  I am Switzerland!
baka
Mr. Wizard of Protein
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: 07-27-09

Tuo Ku Zi, Fang Pi

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 01:23:46 PM »

Welcome aboard!

As Lyndda said there are a heck of a lot of FREAKS who go on to be personal trainers, Tri-Athletes, Marathon runners and all round gym rats - So no worries in that department.

Ian

ATTN Freshly Pouched Freaks: Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!

Fear Can Hold You Prisoner - Hope Can Set You Free!
fabfit2010
Fresh Freak

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 03:36:09 PM »

Wow!!! I wasnt expecting a response here for a while! Thank you so much guys, that really means a lot and definitely holds a lot of weight to my decision (no pun intended)

Now, I'm really excited and after trying to work out how to effectively post cute diagrams of my progress and I will be on here all the time lol.

Looking forward to becoming a mad crazy freak!!!!!  Tongue

So grateful I found this place  Grin

Thanks again xx
HopenToBeThin
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: Pouch Date 6/15/09

We lost 246 in 9 mths - 3/13/10

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 07:49:12 PM »

Welcome to the group.  Congrats on getting your date set.  Looking forward to getting to know you.

Paula
kiersti
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: 6/11/2009
From:: Originally, San Diego. Currently, San Leandro, CA

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 03:36:45 PM »

Hey hey!  And welcome!  I am beginning to consider myself a bit of a gym rat.  I work out in a gym ~5 days a week and do incorporate weight lifting into my routines.  I do up the protein a bit from my recommendations from 70 grams a day to ~100 just to make sure I am building muscle and not eating it up with the work outs. 

One thing...weight lifting leaves me HUNGRY, HUNGRY, HUNGRY...did I mention that for a day or two after training I am HUNGRY.  I see this as a good sign that I am really working things and as long as I make sure I am paying attention to all my nutrition needs I feel great. 

I just had my ~6 month check up with the surgeon yesterday and she was quite pleased with my weight loss process. She attributed some of my fast success to my working out and commented that people do not really appreciate the benefits specifically of weight training when it comes to improving the saggy skin issue.  After losing nearly 160 pounds she commented that my tummy looks as if I'd have a couple kids (which technically I have)...not lost half of my body weight (which technically I also have).  SO...after those GREAT comments from the doctor I highly encourage you to begin weight training.  Even my husband has commented that the skin issues are not nearly as bad sd we expected.  So not only are there fabulous cardiovascular benefits from weight training....but the external, superficial, skin benefits are worth it too!

Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Lifted from gastricbypassbarbie.com:
Before surgery, my mantra was “Why bother trying?” Since surgery, it’s “Whatever it takes."
Pete in Australia
Jr. Freak
Surgery Date: Thursday 24th July 2008
Surgery Type: Sleeve gastrectomy Dr Phil Lockie, Brisbane Private Hospital, Australia
From:: Down 110lb (50kg), no health problem, got me some muscles, a partner & feelin' great.

Blowing out birthday candles sep/oct2009

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 06:13:58 PM »

Hey a fellow Aussie.
Or as we really say in the land down under
‘G’day mate’ as I offer you a shrimp from the barbie and thrust a coldie into your hand.

The procedure will definitely help you to loose a substantial amount of fat and make it easy to stay fit and trim.  However your restricted capacity for consuming sufficient balanced nutrition (especially lean protein) will make it difficult to build and sustain large muscle mass.  A reasonable goal would be a swimmer build – say like the actor Orlando Bloom in Troy or Pirates of the Caribbean.  It is unlikely that you would get large muscular build – such as Hugh Jackman when he played Wolverine.

I also share your non competition body building goal. 

I was keen to get back into weights with my trainer after waiting 3 months for the surgery to settle down.  I found it difficult to eat sufficient to train at the level I had pre surgery – daily 1hrs cardio (walk to/from work) and 3 x 1hrs session of just weight lifting.

Trying to follow my previous routine was making me so exhausted that I found it hard to concentrate and was falling asleep all the time (at work, as soon as I sat down at home, during movies, on the bus etc).  So I saw the Nutritionist several times to examine my diet and maximise intake for fitness, but there was not much scope for improvement.  The trainer recommended big cut back in the cardio to save energy for weight lifting.  This worked a bit better, in that I was less tired, but I have not been able to rebuild the muscle I has 5 years ago.

The bottom line is serious body builders consume many large meals that are high in both protein and calories to build and sustain muscle bulk.  Post surgery you simply are unable to eat this volume.

During the past 3 months I revised my goals to focus on feeling fit and health rather than slaving away to just build muscle.  So the personal trainer sessions cut back from 3 times to once per week (chest and legs only – as these body part exercises are the ones I find toughest and injure my self with).  I use a small home gym twice a week for remaining body parts (arms, back, shoulders).  2 mornings a week I swim 20 laps of 50mtr pool, another 2 mornings I do stair climb (a block away is 184 stairs – I go up/down 4 times, 2 stairs at a time squatting down – OMG it burns your thighs and butt on the 4th climb).  On weekends I cycle along the Brisbane River round trip for 2 hours.

I would love to have bulked up more, but am really pleased to have converted a stack of fat into muscle and lost most of the loose skin.  I am feeling great, well rested, plus do and wear whatever takes my fancy.

My advise it to take time to recover after surgery and start exercise gradually.  As long at it is varied and consistent you will feel and look much better that your do now.  Be realistic about what is possible post surgery and seek some professional advice from your surgeons practice and allied health professionals (ie nutritionist, psych and fitness advisor).

Hope your surgery goes well and good luck with the muscles.

Pete in Brisbane

No longer putting things off and enjoying the best life I can.

kiersti
Grand Poohbah of Freaks

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 08:10:49 AM »

So, I have been doing a little research and one of the most important things about bodybuilding nutrition is getting enough carbs for the energy to build muscles.  This may be a problem for me moving forward.  But I have been able to tone and get muscle definition, so far nutrition hasn't been an issues.  When I am farther along on this journey maybe I will experiment with adding more (complex) carbs to see if this helps with muscle growth.

Check out these articles:
http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/sportsnutrition/a/Food_Strength.htm
http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/sportsnutrition/a/HighProteinDiet.htm
this one is particularly good: http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/nutrition/a/aa080803a.htm

Before surgery, my mantra was “Why bother trying?” Since surgery, it’s “Whatever it takes."
kristi-bisti
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: Nov 18, 2009
Surgery Type: Lap RNY

Feeling Great!

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 11:02:01 PM »

I have just started back at the gym and I am really enjoying it.  I love weights because I feel strong when I can move the peg even higher!

I've been looking at the women at the gym and most are not that defined.  The ones that are have almost no body fat.  That would be nice, but not that likely for me! Roll Eyes

I've been really tring to think about how I want to be able to participate in my life and I need fitness and strength to do that.  I need to be active at the gym in order to be active all day every day.

But now, thanks to you Kiersti, I can focus on the skin benefits!!! Kiss

fabfit2010
Fresh Freak

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 10:45:27 AM »

Gday everyone!!!  Thank you all so much for your feedback, your support is greatly appreciated!

I have been rescheduled for the 13 March, eek! Very nervous So many people have been encouraging me to do the sleeve.. which i have always been reluctant to do, but as the day approaches I am scared of making the wrong decision  Undecided 
You have all helped me stand my ground and not waiver from the Bypass! I just hope I can hold my nerve until then.

Its very encouraging to see and hear that people have gone on to be extreme freaks in the gym and achieve beautiful bodies after the procedure, this is something that is definitely on my agenda.  I will keep you all posted on my pre and post op activities and thoughts!! Please keep posting on your experiences, they have helped me in many ways.

Take care everyone and keep up the great work.

PS:  The weather in Sydney today is great.. pouring down with rain..love it!  I think I will stay undercovers with a good book!!

Talk to you all real soon :0)
kiersti
Grand Poohbah of Freaks

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 01:53:53 PM »

Don't waver....nothing to worry about with bypass, there is just so much misinformation around it that people really don't know much about it and only hear the horror stories.  There are lots of successful and happy freaks here who swear by it and the success they have achieved with the help of bypass.  Me included!

I was just thinking about you - knowing you were scheduled late Feb.  Well, now March.  But don't be nervous - be excited!  It is the start of a whole new life!  A rebirth so to speak, I know I will celebrate my surgiversaries as a second birthday.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 03:10:49 PM by kiersti » Logged

kristopia
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: July 21, 2009, Dr. Armando Joya
Surgery Type: VSG

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 02:30:59 PM »

Don't waver from what YOU know is right for you.  I had the sleeve, and it was right for ME (partly because I had to leave the U.S. to get it, and was uncomfortable getting the RNY outside the country; don't ask me why, as a woman I met in Mexico had the RNY and has done WONDERFULLY).  Anyway, you stand by the surgery that you feel is going to suit you best.  That is the best decision, not what anyone else tells you to do.  As long as you've done your research, you know best what you need Smiley

Meanwhile, March is coming up fast - I'm so excited for you!

Kris

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway."  John Wayne
patti55444
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: 12/09/08
Surgery Type: Lap RNY

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 04:46:30 PM »

Welcome to the group! As you can see, we are a supportive group of freaks!

Patti

Worry doesn't solve tomorrow's problems, but it does ruin today's happiness
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: